Monday, February 19, 2007

The suit to end all suits

Today I learned many things. I learned what a difference it makes to have 100 thread count in your shirts (I'm never going back). I learned that slim ties go with slim fitted suits (Doh!). I learned that the arm sleeves on my suit are too long (Doh! x2). I already knew that white is the mana of style- today I had it re-affirmed.

I also learned to be humble and to accept my place in the universe. Because today I encountered the suit to end all suit. Clearly from the same jungian unconsciousness that dreamed up the belt to end all belts, and the shoes to end all shoes. A strong shoulder line, three buttons and a very subtle creamy brown thread running between slightly more pronounced white threads in the rich dark grey fabric.

It is good to be reminded now and then just how far you have to go. Greed, vanity, desire- these are useful psychological fuels when rage and love run out.

$3800 Armani suit- one day you will be mine.

UPDATE!
Never mind the suit. I have found the shirt to end all shirts! I have never felt as dashingly handsome as I do in the shirt I bought today. Yes, it's white and it has thread count of 100. But I think there's something else about it, the cut. I don't have the understanding to explain why it's so good, but I know that I will go back tomorrow to the same shop and by at least three more. Question is- what is the ideal setup in terms of colours? After tonight the natural male instinct tells me to get three more white ones. But I know I need to fight that instinct. Maybe just one more white. And then maybe one more solid, I'm thinking solid pink. That's kind of controversial right? Then a stripey one with a purple undertone. What do you think, dear readers. If a man can only have four shirts (remember my life is limited to what can be fit in a 20kg suitcase), which colours should he go for? Should I even get one more white? Leave suggestions and know you have helped a man make one significant step towards happiness!

UPDATE #2, Wednesday 21 February
After all these fantastic tips from friends and family, I went back to the shop that stock the shirts to end all shirts. I asked whether they had a white in the same cut but with a slightly different pattern. I tried a few and found (one solid, one with alternate arrows up and down, one with waves) that none looked as fantastic as the one I had already bought.
"Why is that?" I asked, and the woman who was assisting me explained that the white shirt I was wearing had twirls, which made the fabric thicker without actually using thicker thread.
So, I decided twirls is the way to go. I couldn't bring myself to buying another pair of exactly the same shirt, so I found two nice colours, light blue and light salmon pink, tried them on and found that they fit me just as well as the white one. But something was still missing. Whereas white made me want to lock the door and spend an hour and do naughty things to myself while looking at myself in that magical white shirt, the blue and pink just made me feel... i don't know... like I was wearing a nice shirt and that was that. I ended up buying both shirts, since I had gone into that shop with the intention to buy at least two more shirts.

Well, I've learned two things.
One: shop with your heart, not your head. I over-analyzed the whole situation before going in there and made a logical decision to get more shirts from the same shop. I ended up coming out with two shirts that didn't make me feel special at all.
Two: my magical shirt, it's not one thing that makes it great. It's not that it's white, the twirls, the fit or the 100 thread count. It's the combination.

It makes me remember something a good friend of mine said when I agreed that a shirt she was trying on looked good.
"I don't want good. I want beautiful."

I'm going to go back and get myself another white shirt- EXACTLY like the one I have now.

P.S. I wore my blue shirt today to work. I looked good. I looked frigging good. Good ain't that bad ;-)

P.S.S. I've changed the tag of this post from desire to passion. I think that's more appropriate somehow.

Current status

Death. The Dundee Expat met his demise in Hong Kong, where he was subverted as a concept by the rise of the Wannabe Gentleman.