Sunday, February 11, 2007

I want to become a photographer when I grow up

I've recently learned about a technique for making photos resemble more closely what we experience when looking at a scene. The thing is, when we look at something, we don't work like a camera at all. Rather, our mind builds up a picture of the scene over time, taking multiple snapshots and creating a composite. When we take a picture with a camera, we are left with only one picture that appears flat when we look at it back home.

So there's this technique called HDR where you take multiple pictures at different levels of light and then merge the pics to create a uniform level of light. The pictures take on a magical, unreal quality, yet come closer to how you actually experienced the scene.

Well, the photographer that brought this technique to my attention is visiting Iceland right now. Check out his photos as they come up. They are truly mind-blowing. Click on the "large on black" link to see the photos in their full size glory.

Apparently, you can take these kind of photos with any camera and some free software. However, you need a tripod, because you need to take multiple pictures from a single point, otherwise I guess they get really blurry when you combine them.

So, I now have a new ambition: to become a serious photographer. Of course, there's a big distance to cover. I don't even know what makes a good photographer- why do I like some pictures and not others? But every journey starts with a dream.

UPDATE:
wow, my photographer role-model is working hard in Iceland, he's added lot's of cool photos.
Check out:
I mean... wow. If you don't want to visit Iceland by now there's something wrong with you

Current status

Death. The Dundee Expat met his demise in Hong Kong, where he was subverted as a concept by the rise of the Wannabe Gentleman.