Sunday, January 28, 2007

San Francisco is a lot about architecture. And hills.


It didn't strike me immediately that San Francisco has some seriously amazing architecture. Partly, this is because I've been used to checking the more futuristic side of the art in cities like Hong Kong, Shanghai and Dubai. San Francisco is more of a historic architecture, more frilly. Partly, it's also because I first visited San Francisco about three years ago before I went and checked out all those skyscrapers, so somehow my mind is stuck in a "seen it before, too busy now" mode. Anyways, I've had a few opportunities to stroll through my neighbourhood down through Chinatown and into the Financial district. It's really pleasant to walk among such beautiful buildings.


When you walk through some of the higher streets, you are greeted with these vast vistas at every cross section. It's simply awesome.



While there are many spectacularly beautiful buildings, the thing that's starting to sink in is how almost every building (at least around here where I live) they go just that extra little mile, with details on corners and edges that reward you for looking up instead of down.

Current status

Death. The Dundee Expat met his demise in Hong Kong, where he was subverted as a concept by the rise of the Wannabe Gentleman.