Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Meetup.com in San Francisco

Today I joined a members club called Urban Diversions here in San Francisco who I found through meetup.com . On the way to their clubhouse, I just had to snap this one.



Meetup.com is a really exciting idea of a website that essentially helps people set up societies, parties, evening talks, networking sessions, debate groups whatever. I checked it out, tried to search for "new in san francisco" and I discovered Urban Diversions. This is a members club that organizes adventures and laid back parties. I can't help but compare these guys with shanghaiExpat.com (see previous post). The difference I suppose is that ShanghaiExpat tried to pay for itself by targeting members with ads and extra services, whereas Urban Diversions charges a membership fee.

It's going to be interesting to see how this works out. The idea is great, and they do organize a fair amount of zany stuff. For instance, next friday they are organizing a bartender school. Great, never having worked as a bartender is a black mark in my street-cred book.
The only worry of course is that I'll be too busy to actually join in anything and that membership fee was thrown in the sea. Well, you don't know unless you try.

This is me in the clubhouse.



Oh, the same evening I joined Urban Diversions, it just so happened that Mr. Oakenfold was playing just around the corner from me. This man is a god among men. Well, actually I am not sure about that but he does have a very agreeable taste in music.
I have slightly mixed feelings about this evening. On the one hand I had a great time, met some interesting people and felt all the younger for it. On the other hand I had a terrible hang over on a thursday morning (their double vodkas are more like quadruple vodkas!).

I also ended up with no money on my credit card. Instead of charging me $50, ticketweb.com (they suck) charged me $500, which put my card out of use for a day. Although it's been rectified now, I really hate it when my financial security breaks down. At least this time it wasn't my fault. Yay!

This is Mr Oakenfold.

Current status

Death. The Dundee Expat met his demise in Hong Kong, where he was subverted as a concept by the rise of the Wannabe Gentleman.