Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Not planning didn't get me very far

I started the day with a really nice American breakfast (Steak and eggs $8) in an American themed restaurant. Having a breakfast steak is possibly the best thing about American and one of the leading reasons I am here.



I then moved into this nice little studio smack in the center, about 5 minutes from Union Square. While certainly not a five star hotel, it appeared to have everything a deep-undercover-spy needs to set himself up for a month or so.



I was quite excited about living in San Francisco. Much of the place looks a bit like this.





However, having installed myself, unpacked my life (now coming in a compact 20kg- yes!) and stretched out in the lack of space provided I realized that what I mean by Internet access and what Halcyon hotel means by Internet access are two different things. For me, the internet is either a DSL connection or a fast wireless connection in the room. Halcyon things this means a phone plug (they refer to this as a "dataport" because with a dial up modem you can send data down the phone line. imagine that...) and free wireless offered at a cafe a couple of minutes walk away.

So I decided to tell them to go screw themselves, took a taxi over to a proper hotel and then started doing some serious hunting. Amazingly, using Google i was able to identify a couple of options, and after spending a couple of hours looking at studios I sat down at Tully's Cafe to have a think.



Tully's offer some strange ancient herbal tea that is supposed to energize you in much the same way that coffee does, but in a much healthier and smoother way. I think it acts on a different circuitry in your brain. Naturally, I asked them to put a double espresso in there too. I'm not going to take any chances when my future home is at stake!

Current status

Death. The Dundee Expat met his demise in Hong Kong, where he was subverted as a concept by the rise of the Wannabe Gentleman.